[T3] Endless Problems, update....

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 21:54:20 PST 2010

In a message dated 12/10/2010 12:00:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

That was  QUITE a day for you and Sue. I'm just glad that you made it
home alive  after a day that long.

The real problem you were faced with was  the fact that with the
engine off and the light on, the battery is  discharging backwards
thru the generator. That's the fault that the light  is indicating.
That will draw a LOT of current and burn out the generator.  The
current drawn by the lamp is insignificant.

If you leave the  engine running, the (functioning) generator will
buck the reverse current  to some degree while you do what you need to
do to get to the battery.  This may save your generator.

Yeah, it was a long day, but we made it fine, and didn't see any deer
crossing in front of us. We also beat the rain that was moving thru the area, as
 we had a great lightning storm to our west as we were traveling north.
Like I said, I just unplugged the battery for the night. I knew I had a VR
problem, so I changed it before I plugged the battery back in. After doing
that,  the light was off, until I re-fired the engine, and the light came
on. I figured  I'd look at the brushes then, since I hadn't replaced them, and
I knew they had  some miles on them. After replacing the brushes, I fired
the engine up again,  and the light went out. It's been fine since, but I
still would like to replace  the bearings, since I have them now.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)