[T3] Endlesss Problems...another update...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 12 18:42:03 PST 2010

On 12 Dec 2010 at 16:48, Russ W wrote:

> If you look at the spec's on our generators (cut in =2K rpm), and
> calculate the ratios between the generator and the crank pulley (2.3:1
> IIRC), I think you will find that our generators are just starting to
> charge at idle. (950 rpm)

I think "cut in" is the rpm where the cutout relay in the VR is
expected to close. According to Bosch, at that point current is
actually going backwards thru the generator. So, to get a net
positive output from your generator, you have to rev just a bit above
that point.

Alternators don't have that problem, as the diodes prevent any
reverse current.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org