[T3] test

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Dec 18 14:20:09 PST 2010

On 18 Dec 2010 at 12:25, Keith Park wrote:

> Stood in front of the Golf this morning looking at the 4th new master
> cylinder to leak when it gets cold.  Cant remember the last winter I
> didn't have to add brake fluid all winter long...  I think Im giving up
> on this one, $75 a pop and the problem isn't fixed, the fluid is pretty
> cheap comparatively.

Can the MCs be rebuilt? I can probably do them. I may already have
the necessary parts. Do you know the bore dia?

I'm afraid cold weather often brings out MC seal leaks. That's when
the seals shrink a bit more and lets you down. The seals tend to wear
the lips until they just barely touch the cyl walls, but once the
cold weather hits they shrink just a tad more and out drips your DoT
3 or 4. Switching to DoT-5 actually fixes this, because the DoT is
such a better lubricant that the rubber seal lips no longer wear.
This means that there's always plenty of rubber left to make the
seal, even when it gets cold.

I still don't think DoT-5 is good for newer cars with ABS, but for an
older beater it may still be worthwhile.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org