[T3] Cold Starting Problem

Russ W russw at classicvw.org
Thu Dec 23 08:07:24 PST 2010

On 12/23/2010 9:52 AM, Bob Rogers wrote:
> The fuel pump is a newly re-build.  The fuel pressure was originally steady at 31psi.  I thought that top limit might be causing the engine to flood in cold temperatures so I adjusted it to 28lbs. Cold starting problems occur at any temperature under 50 degrees.  Average high temperature here in Kansas this time of the year is about 30 degrees.

Try this.  Build the fuel pressure as normal with your pressure gage
attached.  Now shut the engine off, and watch the fuel pressure.  It
should drop to about 20 psi right away, and then hold, or creep down
very slowly.
If it drops all the way down fast, then you have something in the system
leaking.
Build it again, and be ready to clamp the incoming fuel line on the left
side of the engine as soon as you shut the pump off.  If it still drops
fast, then you have a leak in the engine area.  If it holds, then the
pump check valve is leaking.
You can work your way around the engine like this clamping various
hoses, to isolate various components.

--
Thanks,
Russ Wolfe