[T3] Cold Starting Problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 23 11:24:40 PST 2010

On 23 Dec 2010 at 9:52, Bob Rogers wrote:

> The fuel pump is a newly re-build.  The fuel pressure was originally
> steady at 31psi.  I thought that top limit might be causing the engine
> to flood in cold temperatures so I adjusted it to 28lbs. Cold starting
> problems occur at any temperature under 50 degrees.  Average high
> temperature here in Kansas this time of the year is about 30 degrees.

Try simply unplugging the cold start valve. It may be giving you too
much fuel on startup. The temp switch that enables has a trip point
that varies with the year, and I don't recally, off hand, what that
temp is for a '73.

Your symptoms don't actually sound like it's flooding. If that was
the case, it should only get worse the more times you try to get it
to start. I'm not sure, but I get the impression that the pressure
was tweaked at the factory from '70-on, to meet some emissions spec.
The pressure is spec'd at 28 psi for 68-9, but for the later years
they just give a range, which includes 31 psi. That may actually be
the best pressure for your car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org