[T3] fuel pump problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Dec 25 10:43:31 PST 2010

On 25 Dec 2010 at 11:31, Russ W wrote:

> Well, my 73 fastback has failed me.
> It has been running fine, until about 2 weeks ago.  Now, if it sits for
> a couple days, the fuel pump will not run when you try and start the car.
> If I reach underneath, and tap it with a hammer, then it will run.
> I think the brushes are going in the motor.
>
> Anyone else have any other ideas?

Any chance there is water in the gas? It would only take a little bit
to lock up the motor until you tapped it. See if a can of Heet helps.

Of all the pumps I've rebuilt, I've never had one yet where the
brushes were worn out. The closest I've come is one that had been run
with the overflow hose broken, so there was a lot of dirt/grit in the
gas. In that case, it was actually the commutator which got worn
away, not really what I would have expected. So worn out brushes are
a long shot.

> I have a few other pumps I can try, but getting under there and changing
> them is a pain.

Yeah, nobody's idea of fun in this weather.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org