[T3] Push-rod length...

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Fri Dec 31 10:48:53 PST 2010

There is a VW template I've been sent and attached that shows setting the
pedal stop plate so that there is about 8-3/4" (actually, 225mm) from the
pedal tip to the bulkhead.  This is required for tandem systems so if one
side fails there is still enough pedal travel left to fully pressurize the
remaining half of the system.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/759675.jpg

With this in mind, unless you have one of the very few unmolested 40 year
old cars left on earth, start by setting the pedal stop to get this 8-3/4"
distance, then adjust the rod length to get 1mm rod play (10mm at the pedal
tip).  This will ensure the safety of the system as designed is maintained.

The rod length measurement is not important-- the pedal travel and rod play
are.  The rod length is just the means to an end.

-Phil