[T3] Encless Probs...Volt Reg Tests

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 19:24:29 PST 2010

In a message dated 12/7/2010 6:11:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

BUT...just now I found in the Muir book that this test needs only  show 9.5
volt result for the FI to work.

This is another one of those items that Muir got wrong with our cars (along
 the fan bolt torque). You have to remember, he was a bug and bus guy
first, and  a writer (to sell books) second. He never really spent any real time
with  the type 3, and his writings show that. This is also the same guy who
felt you  should disable the chokes on your carbs, and install an 009
distributor as a way  to make you car last longer. His book is more for
entertainment, rather than  accuracy. I'd still rather have my Bentley, and my Elfrink
FI (on CD) book for  information, along with this list, and those couple of
guys who know the  FI system.

Now I don't claim to be an expert (Jim, Russ, and Keith have more FI
experience than I do), but I've been on this list for over 10 years, and have
found their advice extremely helpful over the years. And Jim has been
preaching to us that the FI system does have a certain voltage requirement for  it
to operate correctly. I've also found that same info on the Samba thru both
Tram and Ray Greenwood, along with the Porsche 914 website (the 914 uses
D-jet  FI).

However, I've also completely dismantled a few type 3's over the  years and
put them back together. My wife and I still have a type 3 (our  2nd) that
we bought on July 4th 1989 (a 70 Fastback), and she enjoys  driving it during
the summer months, as we get too much road salt for winter  use. Her car
was the second car I re-installed FI on, as it was carbureted when  we got it.
With Jim, Russ, and Keith's help, I felt confident enough  to do it. It's
also been fine since I did it a couple of years ago. My first FI  attempt was
on my 71 Square-vert (a topless Roadster that I'm building a top  for), and
my third has been my 71 Notch. All of these FI systems were  pieced
together by buying the components from people selling FI parts in the  Samba
classifieds, as I never had a complete system to start with. I used the  Bentley
manual to help determine which parts went to which system, and searched  the
parts out that way. Each part was tested before it went into the car, tested
 again thru the ECU connector (to determine whether it was in spec), and
then  powered up.It took me about 5 years to gather the parts to build those 3
 systems, as I wasn't in a hurry, and kept an eye out for deals. I
purchased a  large coffee can full of used injectors (from a guy in New York City),
and  tested each one, until I had at least 16 that were good. I actually
ended up  with 22 of them ( extras are now stored in a container of diesel
fuel).
I hope this helps, and gives you an idea where I'm coming from.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)