[T3] Endlesss Problems...another update...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 16:54:02 PST 2010

Same ol'  72 engine, FI, Std. Sqbk--

Working on Charging System, Battery, Generator, Volt Regulator etc.

--  Battery voltage (hooked to charger) over 13.90 v charging at 10 amps.
-- Put it on 2 amps (slow charge) for a day....reading 12.90 at start. After that day it was DOWN to 12.82.  What's that about?

- No matter. Put the battery into the car..
 Across battery check at that upper 13.90 or so v.
- Check at generator (D+ and ground) in the required range...and it went up when revved.
- Check at fuse box...also in the over 12.00 range, and went UP when engine turned on and revved a bit...thus indicating that Charging System works...right?

- Drove it across town (8 miles, only getting to 4th gear once for about a half mile, and NO Problems....'cept that maybe the idle needs a quarter turn up. No hesitation, no bucking, no threats of stall-out, no gas smells, no need to rev at stops, didn't balk at acceleration, nothing.   The cig lighter's been busted for a little while though.   Car drives like it's supposed to.  Haven't done 70 (sustained or otherwise) on a highway yet though.

  So....I'll keep a record of voltages to see if there's any changes.  If it gets lower day by day, that means ...what.... ?   Still, what did I "fix"?

 So....what did we find out?  What's been fixed, if anything?  I'm carrying a spare generator and a few VRs with me, and the VOM, and the charger, just in case of ...I don't know what.

 By the way, dist. rotor tip always seems to need brightening up. I put it in nice and golden, and a day later it's got dark film on it that comes off easily.  I just easily scrape the tip with side of my point gap blade...gently...and it's clean again. What's that about? Heat? Need better cleaning of Generator insides? Normal?
 I use Minimal white lube on the cams---not messy.