[T3] Endlesss Problems...another update.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 12 21:53:07 PST 2010

On 12 Dec 2010 at 21:04, J. Jonik wrote:

> But...I did a volt check across battery with key off, key on, and
> engine on and engine revved.   Got readings....get this...in the over
> 5 volt range.  But, again, when I turned on the VOM, without touching
> anything, it read at minus 7 something. What's that?  Faulty VOM?   Or
> out in cold too long? VOM battery isn't that old either.   Then...maybe
> the minus 7 and the plus five readings add up to over 12, even up to 13
> something.  I mean...would car even turn over with a 5 v reading

5 V would probably not start the car. There must be a problem with
your VOM. It's possible that the real number is the sum of the 2
readings, like you say. Let your VOM warm up inside for a couple
hours and see if it stops doing that. Try turning it on with the 2
leads shorted together.

If it persists, see if you can return it and exchange for a good one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org