[T3] test

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Dec 18 18:10:28 PST 2010

I was gonna ask ya Jim, I did keep the last one.  I don't know the bore
diameter, Ill have to look... Im thinking they aren't honing them properly
when the rebuild them but I had thought that the last One I got was a new
ATE... again, ill have to check.  I don't have a hone, so maybe Ill send you
the last one I took off last May and have you go thru it.

Thanks
'
Keith

Can the MCs be rebuilt? I can probably do them. I may already have
the necessary parts. Do you know the bore dia?

I'm afraid cold weather often brings out MC seal leaks. That's when
the seals shrink a bit more and lets you down. The seals tend to wear
the lips until they just barely touch the cyl walls, but once the
cold weather hits they shrink just a tad more and out drips your DoT
3 or 4. Switching to DoT-5 actually fixes this, because the DoT is
such a better lubricant that the rubber seal lips no longer wear.
This means that there's always plenty of rubber left to make the
seal, even when it gets cold.

I still don't think DoT-5 is good for newer cars with ABS, but for an
older beater it may still be worthwhile.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org