[T3] More weirdness....

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Nov 13 20:08:04 PST 2010

Ya know, when I finally cleaned out the T3 shrine (shed) last week I found a
half dozen solenoids that Ive had over the years all labeled "sticks when
hot" or "sticks when cold" or the one I had last spring "sticks engaged"

I replace them at that point and all is well after that.

Keith

I've had problems like this, especially with AT cars, where it
appears that the heat soak after shutdown caused the resistance of
the starter solenoid to increase in resistance enough to prevent
enough current from flowing thru it to cause the solenoid to pull in.
In this case, the idiot lights on the dash might dim slightly, but
there would be no sound at all from the starter. Is that what you
saw?

i've managed to speed up the recovery time by opening the engine
cover to allow convection to cool things in there faster. This is not
a common problem, however.

OTOH, if this is an AT car, try wiggling the shift lever slightly as
you turn the key to START. Problems with the AT neutral safety switch
are common.