[T3] fresh air fan switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 15 05:59:17 PST 2010

On 14 Nov 2010 at 22:37, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:

> I also need a fresh air fan switch for my '73 fastback FI.  It works
> fine on high speed but nothing on low.  I tried cleaning the contacts
> but nothing on low.

I'm afraid that's not a switch problem. There's a resistor built into
the '73 fan and those have a rather poor failure rate. Mine is dead
right now, too. It's a 1 Ohm power resistor, but it's quite hard to
get to. VW actually sold them as a replacement part, but the better
option would be to replace the whole fan and housing with one from an
earlier car. Those use a different motor that has a low speed winding
and don't use the resistor.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org