[T3] fresh air fan switch

Richard Hamje richard at hamje.net
Mon Nov 15 17:15:37 PST 2010

What a coincidence!  I have a '73 Fastback and am in the process of removing my fresh air blower.  Replacing it with a heater.  So hopefully by next weekend I will have the entire fresh air blower, with the switch, out of the car.  The blower works fine at all speeds, but I need heat more than cold.  You can have it for the cost of shipping.  Or if you're in the Portland area, you can come pick it up.  Let me know if you want it, and where I should send it.

> I also need a fresh air fan switch for my '73 fastback FI.? It works
> fine on high speed but nothing on low.? I tried cleaning the contacts
> but nothing on low.?

I'm afraid that's not a switch problem. There's a resistor built into
the '73 fan and those have a rather poor failure rate. Mine is dead
right now, too. It's a 1 Ohm power resistor, but it's quite hard to
get to. VW actually sold them as a replacement part, but the better
option would be to replace the whole fan and housing with one from an
earlier car. Those use a different motor that has a low speed winding
and don't use the resistor.

Richard Hamje
Electric '73 Fastback
Portland, OR