[T3] My Car Has Cancer.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 17:12:27 PST 2010

The outside of the window seal hardens with time and u/v exposure, but the
inside may still be fairly flexible.

If the rust has got under the rubber, it distorts the seal when the rust
expands as it forms.

You really need to get to all the rusty area and clean it all off (use a
Dremel maybe?), treat the metal with a rust killer, and give a good few
applications of primer, and colour touch up.  That will probably last a few
years.

If you can't get to remove all the rust without removing the rubber and
glass, that's what you'll have to do.

When you've finished whatever repair youm have had to do, it would be worth
getting some sealer between the rubber and the body.  You can buy a thin
liquid that you run in between the surfaces.  If the rubber is split, you
may need something thicker and black coloured.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club