[T3] Voltage

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 20:39:05 PST 2010

Turn off all electrical equipment and disconnect the battery negative, then
simply put an ammeter between the battery negative post and the negative
cable clamp. If there is any current it will show a reading.  If it goes
minus, change the leads around.  Pick the highest current range on your
current meter and gradually change to more sensitive ranges.  If the
interior light is on, that would show at a bit under 1 amp.  Turn it off for
this check.

I don't understand how electricity would get out of the exposed coils of the
starter - it's not like water in a pipe.  It has to have a complete circuit
to flow.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club