[T3] Voltage Regulator

Tim Keohane rheorojo at wildblue.net
Mon Nov 1 21:45:13 PDT 2010

I charged the battery @ 10 amps for 24 hours, then 2 amps for 3 days.
4 hours after removing the charger these are the results:
Battery charge 		13.5 volts
@ 2500 RPM  No Load
Battery 				14.5 volts
Gen.			        14.5 volts  10.5 Amps
Battery circuit  		1.6 Amps
Fuse Panel circuit        8.5 Amps
@ 2500 Low Beams ( 2x 55 watts)
Battery				14.5 volts
Gen.				15.2  volts   20.5-21.5 amps
Battery circuit                1.5 - 2.5 amps
Fuse panel circuit         19.3 amps
The generator light only comes on when I turn the key to start. Once
started it goes out, and does not indicate when the generator is
insufficient to maintain the battery @ 12.5 volts or higher.  I can
visualize the generator light remaining out if it V R is receiving
ample current regardless of the circuit out except when the battery
goes down during use. I would also think more amperage would flow to
the battery to maintain it.
My first impression is everything here seems within parameters, but
the battery dies then the car without an indication. When a fresh
battery is installed the car starts and runs without a hic-up.  I have
not checked the strength of the battery. I guess I'll have to replace
the bulbs with something requiring a little less.
Let me know if I'm off track here.
Thanks in advance

Tim & Paula Keohane
Purveyors of: