[T3] Voltage Regulator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 15 14:49:29 PST 2010

On 15 Nov 2010 at 10:43, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I may be out to lunch here, but I thought I read ( maybe on the samba)
> that with the pertronics installed, on F I engines, the ignition
> timing needed to be advanced (?) buy a few degrees. I liked the fact
> that we were able to go 3 years and only change plugs.

There's no reason to expect the timing to be any different. It's most
likely that whoever did this could also have advanced his standard
timing by the same 3 degrees with exactly the same result.

With the Delta CDI ignitions, I run for years with the same points
AND plugs. Your distributor cam has to be in good shape to get good
point life.

> My wife took the car on a road trip to Lakeport Ca. 800 miles one way.
> She drove 55 to 60 on the way down ( from the Seattle area ) via I-5
> and got just over 28 mpg. The engine had about 1000 miles after the
> rebuild. On the way back she drove about 65-70. In a hurry !! The
> mileage was just under 21 mpg. We agree that she and I have different
> parameters for "filled up" Thats also when the battery/lights issue
> reared up. She could drive all day without lights, but only get a
> couple hours max with the lights on. There are just under 2000 miles
> on the rebuild.

Yes, and "filled up" is just one of the variables. Uphill/downhill
and upwind/downwind are also very important. The speed is also VERY
important. Gas mileage at 55-60 will always be MUCH better than that
at 65-70, because air drag goes up approximately with the square of
the speed, and air drag is where most of your engine power goes.

> I broke the body of the fan switch. Where the "neck" fits through the
> dash. ( oh yeah) If the late beetles have the same switch where would
> be a source. I haven't seen them in Mid America nor C I P catalogs. If
> you have one you are willing to part with what would be the charge?

Check your local junkyards for a dead beetle. I'm not home now, so
I'm not sure if I have a spare one or not.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org