[T3] Voltage Regulator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 28 20:45:35 PDT 2010

On 28 Oct 2010 at 8:08, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I will put my best battery on charge and let it go for a few days.
> Then on trickle for a few more days.  I'll also test both leads ( from
> the V R ) and do the same test on low beams.

It may help to slip your inductive pickup around both of the VR
output cables at the same time. That lets the meter sum the currents
for you and removes any doubts about sign errors. Then you should
find that the input to the VR and output from the VR are almost
identical.

> The car is a '73 and fuel injected so the battery state is more
> critical. ( As you know ) Automatic tranny which we like.

Well, it's not so much the battery state that's important, but the
system voltage, which is controlled by the VR. But I suspect you
already understood that.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org