[T3] Bosch 30-019 Voltage Regulator vs. "new" Bosch 190 040 099 ??

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Apr 5 19:57:03 PDT 2011

On 5 Apr 2011 at 14:52, Robert Bills  wrote:

> In the event I need one, Is the Bosch 190 040 099 E an acceptable
> replacement voltage regulator for a stock fuel injected '73
> Squareback?

I hadn't noticed that it was wider. I have not yet installed one of
the these myself, but others here have, and not reported a problem.
The top section of the new VR is "hot" so it must not touch the body.
Otherwise, electrically, it appears to be a perfectly reasonable
replacement for the original mechanical VRs.

I just bought several of the new ones for stock, so I hope they don't
turn out to be a hassle to install. The OE style ones appear to be
NLA, so I hope these are good.

I'll have to look at the new style units again. It's possible that
the "hot" upper cover could be bent slightly to give extra clearance.
That might be easier than trying to drill new mounting holes.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org