[T3] Bosch 30-019 Voltage Regulator vs. "new" Bosch 190 040 099 ??

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 6 20:07:46 PDT 2011

On 6 Apr 2011 at 17:15, Robert Bills  wrote:

> I will test my existing VR again this evening.  If my VR fails, it appears
> the only readily available option is the replacement Bosch 190 040 099 E.
> My thought is to buy a square of thin rubber sheet from the plumbing
> section of my local hardware store and glue it to the body panel as
> insulation from the VR.

You might be interested to know that VW glued a bit of the
basketweave seatcover material to the body there when these cars were
new. It's usually fallen away by now, but you can find bits of
similar material glued over various holes under the vinyl panels all
around the car.

> Will these no name VRs work with stock fuel injected type 3s or is the
> regulated voltage different so they cause havoc to the fuel injection
> electronics?  (Or, in the basest of terms, why isn't it as good as a
> Bosch?)

They will certainly get you home okay; there's nothing special about
the Bosch voltage regulation. The only difference that I've seen is
that the US made ones, which were usually shaped like the Bosch but
with black covers, didn't last nearly as long. It's likely that there
are SOME good aftermarket ones out there, but I never had the time to
find them. It's a tough task when even the bad ones last a couple of
years.

The solid state ones should last forever unless we abuse them
somehow.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org