[T3] So my 62 Notch caught fire today!!!!

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 11 06:55:25 PDT 2011

> Sorry to hear about the fire.  Its
> amazing how a shorting wire or small fuel leak can ignite a
> VW.  Lesson learned for the rest of us --- always carry a
> fire extinguisher in a classic air-cooled VW.

After a pile of smoke came up from my dash (many many years ago) I hit it with a fire extinguisher. Decades later I am still fighting the consequences of that action. Not the fire, but the fire extinguisher material.

I highly suspect that my electrical problems stem from the corrosive action of the fire extinguisher materials. The stock electrical spade connectors don't retail electrical contact.

Three years ago I took apart every connection, and reconnected them in an attempt to make a solid and reliable connections. It didn't last for long. Now I have to test to see what electrics work, every time I drive it. Sometimes I have no tail lights, sometimes no brakes, sometimes no headlights, sometimes no dash. When I remove/connect one connector, other ones decide to not work. Very frustrating.

Jeff '67 Sqbk