[T3] So my 62 Notch caught fire today!!!!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 11 07:48:33 PDT 2011

On 11 Apr 2011 at 0:05, William McInerney wrote:

> How can I diagnose how the fire started as it seems like it started at the
> coil, black wire. However, it burnt anything that would burn in the bay. All
> the wires in the bay, fuel lines, hoses, ect. are freaking toasted. What is
> salvagable and what may still be useable?

REALLY sorry to hear about your misfortune.

It's most likely that this started with a gas leak. It's important for each of
us to keep in mind that fuel lines do not last forever, so an important thing
to check a few times a year, especially at the start of each driving season,
are the fuel lines.

Just open up the engine cover then start the engine and let it run for a few
minutes while you look over all the hoses for wetness. If you find a wet spot,
it can almost never be fixed by tightening a hose clamp. Replace the hose. In
fact, once one hose is bad, replace them all because they are all equally old.

While the engine is running, you should also look under the car, both front and
rear, for that drip, drip, drip that indicates a leak that might not be obvious
in the engine compartment.

You're going to need to replace fuel lines and wires, but most of the hard
parts will probably be okay.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org