[T3] Bosch Starter...

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 13:32:12 PDT 2011

Well, if I wanted to make you start moving, I could exert a gentle steady
force for a longer time, or a sudden large push for an instant.  Which would
you prefer?  You're using the rotating wheels to turn the gearbox cogs, and
transmit that torque to the engine.  In first gear, the engine will have to
spin up to higher rpm quicker.  I don't know which parts may be stressed
unreasonably, but as the power is to some extent being transmitted in the
reverse sense to normal, the stresses on gear teeth will be on the back of a
tooth rather than the face that is normally in contact.  Maybe that's a
reason, maybe not, but learning to be kind to the components is all part of
a sensitivity to engineering practice, just as developing a feel for how
tight to do up a nut is.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club