[T3] Chasing Engine Gremlins

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 17:20:59 PDT 2011

In a message dated 4/11/2011 5:41:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rdbills at aol.com writes:

Results:   The existing regulator tested at 13.5 volts at the  battery at
moderate rpm.  I replaced it with a new unit and tested  again.  This time
the result was 14.7 volts regulated voltage at the  battery.

I was able to road test my Squareback the next day on a  330-mile round
trip to a VW event in Solvang CA.  Not only did the engine  run better, my fuel
consumption went from 20mpg to 27.5 mpg.

Thanks  Jim!!!

My next quest is to determine why the idle is rough when  cold, and why the
engine still "loads up" so that I sometimes have to rev it  up to "clear"
the cylinders before it will accelerate like it  should.   An experienced
(but prohibitively expensive) local  mechanic looked at my motor and
immediately observed that the injectors  weren't matched (something my inexperience
and lack of VW knowledge prevented  me from seeing).    If that is true, it
would explain a rough  idle.  I suspect that one injector is bad and causing
that cylinder to  load up with fuel at idle and low rpms.  Two injectors (1 &
2) have  yellow caps at the tip.  No. 4 has a green cap.  No. 3 is the
oldest  and appears to have a black cap.

Which are the correct  injectors?
Your mileage is about right, now. FI normally gets around 27.5, sometimes
better.
The correct injectors are either black or yellow. The green ones are for a
larger engine (and would supposedly cause a cylinder to run rich).
Originally  the 68's had black, and those were used for a few years. Then VW changed
to  yellow for the bodies until the end of production. The green one is
probably  part of your problem, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I'd just
drive it,  and see how it runs for a while. It might clear itself up now
that the system is  getting the correct voltage.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)