[T3] Intermittent Cut Out

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 18 18:49:24 PDT 2011

On 18 Apr 2011 at 11:37, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> So next I turned to the ignition. Jim had rebuilt a distributor
> for me a few months ago - I installed new trigger points, cap, rotor,
> points, condensor and installed it. Next test ride the problem disappeared.
> Something with switching the distributor changed it. I didn't take a 20 mile
> testride - just around the block so we'll see. Idle/timing still not perfect
> but will work on that tonight after I return the rental car. THANKS!

There are several possibilities, but my first guess would be the
trigger points. These have all worn by now, so I re-set them any time
I rebuild a distributor. The ignition points and dist cap could also
have been the problem, along with the breaker plate ground braid, but
problems there are usually obvious, so I suspect you would have
noticed them earlier.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org