[T3] Puff of smoke

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 14:47:47 PDT 2011

Over years of owning aircooled VWs, I've had this happen occasionally.  The
brief puff of (oil?) smoke can happen at each cold start over a few months,
then just as suddenly stop happening.  It may be aggravated by being parked
on a side slope.

In an attempt to rationalise this, here is my theory:-

The rings rotate in their grooves, even though we take care to space them
evenly when assembling!

Inevitahly, the ring gaps will occasionally line up at the bottom of a
cylinder and allow a small amount of oil into the combustion chamber, which
burns off when the engine next starts.

It has occurred over such a long period without anything worse happening, so
I don't think it's anything to be worried about.  You can keep an eye on the
oil level to check it's not burning a significant amount.  If not, no
worries.

If it is actually white smoke, that suggests excess fuel - maybe your cold
start device is operating when it shouldn't (FI engine?).

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club