[T3] number 4 spark plug

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Apr 22 20:39:32 PDT 2011

On 22 Apr 2011 at 11:27, ken2k wrote:

> i cant loosen #4 spark plug (in my notch)  and am afraid to use  too
> much force for fear it may have been inserted wrong by a previous
> owner. any tricks to loosen it??  if i do get it out and it is stipped
> what then???

Sorry to hear that.

I don't think there's anything special that you can do that's without
risk. The good news is that the #4 (LR) is the easiest one to get to.

I would start by putting whatever wrench you need to get it to turn.
Maybe just turn a half turn and then stop and spray some Kroil, LPS-1
or WD-40 down there and let it soak a bit. Once you've turned it a
half turn, you'll know whether it's come loose or the threads have
galled.

If the threads have galled, there's nothing you can do to save them
at this point, so you just have to go ahead and take the plug out, or
let a shop do it. Then they can tap for a Helicoil or solid insert.
If the person knows what they are doing, this can be done in the car.

In my opinion, a Helicoil, with the head off the engine makes the
best repair, but you may not have that choice.

In the future, never install spark plugs without lubrication. My
favorite lube is anything that contains MoS2 (Moly disulfide.) That
will keep this from happening. In an emergency you can just use a
drop of engine oil off the dipstick. Anything is better than
installing them dry. I have small tubes of MoS2 for sale.

Bosch plugs also seem to be much less likely to seize in there than
Champion or AC. I carry the right Bosch plugs, too.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org