[T3] So my 62 Notch caught fire today!!!!

William McInerney billymac53 at msn.com
Sun Apr 10 21:05:43 PDT 2011

Hey there everyone,

Today was a nice day in DE. I called out of work to drive my Notch around town and to have fun while it's running great. Well, I hop on Interstate I-95 and cruise about 65mph. The total time on the highway was about 3 minutes, and I heard this whooop sound. The car lost power and I pulled to the shoulder. The guy in the truck next to me was beeping and and making hand movements like my car just exploded. Guess what, it did. I proceed to open the decklid while smoking and open up my cover to find a camp-sized freaking fire in my engine bay and nothing with me to put it out(lesson learned). My dogs are in the car with no leashes and I am watching this fire burn on the shoulder of I-95. A guy pulls over within 15 seconds and asks me if I have a fire extinguisher...reallly. He grabs a coffee cup out of his truck and I get as much swamp/rain runoff water as I can from this ditch and pour it on the fire 6 times before its out. Errrrrrr.

How can I diagnose how the fire started as it seems like it started at the coil, black wire. However, it burnt anything that would burn in the bay. All the wires in the bay, fuel lines, hoses, ect. are freaking toasted. What is salvagable and what may still be useable? It burned for a good 4 minutes at least. Why does this car not want me to drive it?????