[T3] Bosch 30-019 Voltage Regulator vs. "new" Bosch 190 040 099 ??

Robert Bills rdbills at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 11:52:49 PDT 2011

I've learned quickly with my Squareback that it saves a lot of downtime to know who sells the parts I am likely to need before I tear anything down.

Searches for available Bosch 30-019 regulators steer me to the "new" Bosch 190 040 099 E Mexican-made voltage regulator.  The only real 30-019 regulators in the various classifieds are used.

The "new" regulator is slighly wider than the 30-019, which would require relocation of the holes for the mounting screws to allow adequate clearance from the body panel, but otherwise appears to be a functional equivalent to the original 30-019.

In the event I need one, Is the Bosch 190 040 099 E an acceptable replacement voltage regulator for a stock fuel injected '73 Squareback?  If not, why not?