[T3] bushing for front control arm

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Sun Apr 10 19:05:44 PDT 2011

What was the difference between the beams?  I thought they were the
same.  I know the brakes/spindles changed, but the beam?

I found a broken needle bearing in my beam too.  I looked into all the
options and ended up just finding another beam with good bearings.  ISP
West makes some kind of poly bushings as a replacement, but you need to
take/send them your beam so they can machine the bushings so the control
arms fit once the bushings are pressed in.  I've seen the needle
bearings come up in the classifieds on theSamba, but I found a beam for
about the same price.  I think the top ones are NLA and the bottoms are
the same as a bug?  You also might be able to take the beam to a machine
shop and have them make you a bronze bushing, I remember reading about a
guy who did that.

I think the most affordable way is to just find another good beam.

On another note, my replacement beam has a ring welded to the bottom on
one side (kind of D shaped), the old beam didn't.  It looks like
factory.  Is it, and what's it for?

-Brent