[T3] notchback horn

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Apr 11 20:15:08 PDT 2011

On 11 Apr 2011 at 7:43, ken2k wrote:

> the horn on my 70 notch seems to have a short somewhere. it goes off
> when i turn the wheel either way. i replaced the wire in the steeting
> column and checked all the other circuits but can find the short.

I think your message came to me via  the list, but my reply might
have accidentally gone just back to you.

You could also check where the lower end of the steering shaft exits
the body. It must not touch the body there. The steering wheel hub
must also not touch the stationary part of the steering column. If
your TS switch does not cancel properly, it's possible that the
spring in there has broken free and is shorting at times.

There's also a nylon bushing in the steering column that isolates the
steering shaft bearing from the column. If there's a lot of play in
your steering shaft, that bushing might have crumbled, but that would
be pretty unusual and would probably cause the horn to sound all the
time.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org