[T3] Rear Suspension Stops

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Dec 30 20:33:46 PST 2011

On 31 Dec 2011 at 3:10, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Hey I was peering around in my rear axle and discovered a place that used
> to house Rear Rubber Suspension stops. It appears unlikely that I'll be
> able to get the new ones on that easily. Is there a method to replace these
> or do people use stiffer shocks and/or sway bars? This car had a sway bar
> up until a month ago when it had a clearance issue with one of the sway bar
> ends. I removed it and noticed the car was considerably more loosey-goosey.

On normal roads you'll almost never hit those stops, so they're
really not all that important. If you've lost one, it's likely
because the little metal "mushroom" that it slipped over rusted away
and they fell off together.

If the mushroom is there, they're easy to replace, assuming you can
find a replacement. If the mushroom is gone, it's best to just forget
about it.

What year is this? I think '67-8 came with the so-called Z-bar in the
rear, and parts for those are hard to come by. They really don't do
anything until the car gets rather heavily loaded. Is this what
you're describing?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org