[T3] Intake Gasket Material

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Dec 28 22:58:23 PST 2011

On 28 Dec 2011 at 22:43, Dave wrote:

> I'm in the process of rebuilding my 69 fastback FI and was able to get
> it started for the first time in a dozen years.  YEA! 

Congratulations!   ;-)  

> But it was running really rich.  Found some good vacuum leaks at the
> intake runner/head area.  There doesn't seem to be intake gaskets
> around for the FI engines anymore. I know I have to use the hard
> spacers but what do I use as a gasket material between the spacer and
> the head/runner?  RTV doesn't seem like a good idea with that area
> being sprayed with gas.  What does everyone else use? 

Some kind of pasteboard from cereal boxes or something similar but 
thinner should be fine. The OE material was actually quite thin, more 
like heavy paper.

If you can find the dual port gaskets used for OE dual carb Type 3s 
('67s in the US) those work perfectly.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

More information about the type3-vwtype3.org mailing list