[T3] Removing the dash pad?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 2 06:58:22 PST 2011

On 1 Feb 2011 at 22:29, Marklist wrote:

> It turns out that some previous owner mounted the dash speaker
> insanely.  He put in in through the top with and glued it in place and
> then put on the dash pad.  The speaker is now blown, and I can't figure
> out a way to remove it from the bottom.
>
> What do I have to do to remove the dash pad on a 71 (I hope it isn't
> glued down.).

You're right, that's pretty insane.

First make sure you REALLY have to remove the dash pad to get the old
speaker out. From '71 to '73 the speaker is held in place by a spring
clip that anchors in some fittings to each side of the speaker hole
on the underside of the dash. I have some of those clips if you end
up needing one. I also have some speakers that will fit there.

See if you can destroy the old speaker and pull the parts down from
below. To do this you will have to remove the radio and the vent
pipes.

To remove the dash, first of all be careful, because you don't want
to damage it. On your '71, remove the steering wheel, all 3 gauges,
the glove box and the passenger grab handle. Pry out the silver trim
along the bottom edge of the dash pad. Remove the little black flat
head screws that were hidden under that trim. Gently remove the pad.

Install in the reverse order.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org