[T3] Rattling shifter

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 22:37:45 PST 2011

> Yes, it seats in a dimple.

I'll make sure I have it there.

> I doubt if they are the problem, but if they are stiffer than the
> OEs, then they would transmit more vibration.

I'm going to go back to the other pieces.  They weren't that bad and if I
had thought this would even happen, I would have left them there.  I had
even inspected this before and felt it was fine a couple of months ago.  But
I figured I would just "do it all" while I had things out.  This may be that
popular case of the aftermarket part being nothing of the quality the OE
part was.

> I'd also look for some stiffer grease for the rod, ball, and socket.
> Extra viscosity there would also help. The old grease you found there
> was a lot thinner when it was new, but your fresh grease is probably
> thinner than optimum for thie application.

yep.  I'm going to take care of that too.  Russ said white lithium and I'll
go with that.

Thanks,

 - Bryon, ' 71 Fastback