[T3] WHY ISNT MY NOTCH RUNNING NOW!!!!!

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 18:22:58 PST 2011

Carbs can take a bit of churning if empty, and sitting warm after a run can
evaporate a fair bit of the fuel.

Splash a bit of gas into the throat (not as easy as with a downdraft, but
maybe you can get a bit in there) and see if it fires at all.

Pull off a plug lead and see if there's a spark (you can put an old plug in
the lead and rest it on the engine case to earth the outside).

Wipe a piece of metal or nail-file between the points in case they've picked
up a bit of dirt.

If it has a wire to a barrel shaped device in the carb, see if it clicks
when the ignition is on and you remove and remake the connection.  I don't
know if an old side-draft carb will have an electric idle cut-off jet
though.

Sometimes damp gets into the ignition system - I had to use a hair-dryer the
other day just to drive off damp from the leads.  I probably need new leads
or should fit the plug caps with those red silicone covers I've still got in
a bag somewhere!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club