[T3] Diagnosing Chronic Intermittant No Start Condition

Brian Fye bfye at canyonville.net
Tue Feb 22 10:49:06 PST 2011

I have an identical issue in my 412 automatic...  when i turn the key,
sometimes it sounds like the starter is bound, other times it will sort of
turn.  my battery was at 12.8v after a charge yesterday and it couldn't turn
the engine over.  my guess is a corroded cable to the starter, but i haven't
been able to investigate yet.

if you find a solution, i would love to know.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Chris Sheridan <
csheridan at virtual-consulting.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a 70 fastback automatic, which has an interesting personality. I
> drive it to and from work each day no problem, then over the weekend my
> wife
> gets in it and it won't start for her. This has happened to me before as
> well. Sometimes I can just reach back and slightly twist the battery
> terminal and it will start. I have been tricked by this several times
> trying
> to troubleshoot it. At this point I have a brand new starter installed, I
> have two brand new batteries (bought the 2nd one thinking the first one was
> faulty) when in fact the lights always come on nice and bright. tried
> jumping it yesterday and still wouldn't start. When I replaced the starter
> 2
> weeks ago I made sure my connections were well and good there, and of
> course
> it didn't start until I jiggled the positive strap. So I have a couple
> questions:
>
> 1) Is the wire from the postive terminal to the regulator Key to the car
> starting? I currently have a standard terminal on the positive post, with
> the red wire attached to the post bolt using an eyehole big enough to clear
> the 8mm bolt. I just bought a positive line with an internal red pigtail
> wire, hoping the connection will be more solid.
>
> 2) How big of an issues is the infamous 40 year old long wire from the
> solenoid to the starter switch? Is the resistance in this wire a factor
> over
> time like it is in the bus? It doesn't seem to be a factor since it starts
> fine most days and there is no glowing idiot light while I drive. Do people
> typically install the hard start relay to correct this on type 3s?
>
> 3) Assuming I can solve this problem, has anyone set up a dual battery
> system? Now that I have two non-returnable new batteries it wouldn't be
> much
> of a stretch to buy the isolator and have some insurance on the starting
> thing. If you go with two batteries, can you still use the stock 12v
> generator or must to upgrade to an alternator?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Sheridan
> 70 fastback

Brian Fye