[T3] Follow Up on the long term squareback running issues....

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 15:38:08 PST 2011

   .....this was the car that started out with intermittent (every
few weeks) mysterious stalling, eventually becoming undrivable.....
with me chasing down possible ignition problems, and then as it
worsened, symptoms seemed to indicate fuel problem.
The verdict is in: last I talked with you guys, you recommended
looking in the fuel tank, with water and junk in the tank being #1
suspect. Inspection of the tank revealed that it was very clean
inside, BUT the little screen had been removed from over the outlet
to the fuel line. It also revealed that somebody had sealed around
the outlet, as well as filled the old return line hole, with some
kind of red-looking sealer. The sealer around the outlet seemed to be
deteriorating, and sure enough, that's what the problem turned out to
be. Some pieces of that red silicone had come loose and made their
way right into the fuel line, but never made it to the filter.
   So now, proper seal in place, "sock" installed in the tank, runs
great, hopefully problem is 100% solved. Thanks to everybody for the
help with this!
   -Jimmy