[T3] Diagnosing Chronic Intermittant No Start Condition

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 13:51:34 PST 2011

Flippant reply:  Just as some family dogs respond to one family member
better than the others, so too with Type 3s.

More considered reply:  If the problem can be solved by moving terminals
around, there's clearly a poor connection somehwere.

A hard start relay can't do harm, and can be installed without cutting
anything.  It's not essential if everything is functioning well.   At the
least it helps protect the ignition-starter switch contacts.  If the fault
does not recur, you've found a solution.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club