[T3] stock cam advice

David rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 19:01:51 PST 2011

Thanx for the all the advice! I made a few phone calls today to see if I
could dig up a -2 camshaft, but no luck. It doesn't seem correct to put the
original 140K cam back into the rebuild block, but actually that is what
Berg suggested as well.

Since I do have the block back from RIMCO, I should check for fit as Jim
suggested with my original -2 cam and see if there is any binding. Like Jim
said; maybe a -2 cam will be too tight after block machining.

This motor will not go into Elwood until this spring, so I have a few more
months to keep searching for maybe an NOS camshaft. Who knows...maybe one
will surface somewhere. I will ask on the Samba too. I have other garage
projects to keep me busy over the next few winter months, so I'm not in a
rush to put this motor back together yet. I am getting the correct oil pump
and a set of followers from Berg too :-) Being my first rebuild; I don't
want to screw things up with engine parts from unknown sources.

Dave Pallo
'72 Square ~ "Elwood"
Fairport, NY