[T3] Old Type IIIs

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 19:31:37 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/23/2011 9:47:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

I'm  guessing that the FI engine that started this response was never
running  right, and we've all seen examples of that. It's amazing how
much  difference it will make once you replace a worn out voltage
regulator or  fix a frozen mech advance. These are the kinds of things
that the FI gets  blamed for, but turn out to be simple to fix and
hugely rewarding to drive  afterwards.

I personally think this is the biggest issue with FI (no mechanics  that
know how to work on it). I had a local mechanic (certified) stop by  for a
beer 1 night, and asked him how he would fix my 71, since it doesn't have  an
ALDL port. All I got was a blank stare. I told him I'd use a fuel  pressure
gauge, and an ohm meter. But like Jim mentioned, I've seen plenty of  frozen
mechanical advances over the last 15 years of working on VWs. And the bad
VR has bitten me as well.
Having both a well tuned FI car, and a well tuned carbed car, I can say
that the FI car has a little more useable low end torque, but otherwise are
very  similar (even mileage). Just my take on it.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)