[T3] Old Type IIIs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 23 20:28:04 PST 2011

On 23 Feb 2011 at 19:37, Brian Fye wrote:

> I ran a 1500sp sidedraft in my notch when I first got it.  It was fine, for
> 63hp, on everything except the 6% grade hill I had to climb daily...  that
> was a nightmare on the interstate!

VW credits that engine (K series) with 45 BHP, the T series (dual
carb 1600) with 54 BHP and the U series (1600 FI) with 54 BHP. This
is from the microfilm, not from the US sales lit.

They must have been using a different standard for BHP than we are
used to, but any way you look at it, the K series engine performance
is way down.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org