[T3] Old Type IIIs

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 13:31:39 PST 2011

Never used an Exhaust Tester. Will visit my friend's shop.  What does an exhaust tester tell you? Is it generally known what a Perfect Balance between rich and lean is?
  And, couldn't a rich reading mean something besides fuel pressure adjustment is needed?   (My fuel pressure is consistent 29)

For the record...my 72 FI, with "new" Control Box AND disconnected temp sensor (at Air Regulator) is working just great...driving, accelerating, idling, everything.
 Mystery is why disconnecting that temp sensor helped the idling oddities so much.  VW must have wanted it there for some reason.

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:28:02 -0600
From: "Jim Adney" ...

On 23 Feb 2011 at 19:14, J. Jonik wrote:

> How does one ? "...set the FI to run as rich or lean as you want ..." ?
> ?And, what is the exact perfect balance?...which is what one would want.
> ?And how to test for that?

Fuel pressure.

> ? Where's a nice dial to set to "richer" or "leaner" ...along with a tester that will tell you "too rich" or "too lean"?

Exhaust tester.