[T3] Old Type IIIs

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 19:14:34 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/23/2011 2:45:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

Isn't it  the case that all Manuals on how to take care of a Type III are
assuming that  New Parts are available, and assuming a certain age for
existing  parts?

None that I've seen talk about "Are your wires and connections  40 years
old?"...and what to do about that.   What IS the life of a wire  or connector
or Control Box or the rest?

How to know which parts, incl  wires, connectors, other components, MUST be
replaced after X number of years  to be reliable?

Bottom Line:    How to make a 70's T-3 a "New  Car"...good for the next 40
years....or next trip to Mexico or the boondocks  elsewhere....body problems
aside for now?

Fear is that T-3's will  become just Show Cars, trucked to Car Shows,
unreliable for actual  use.   That would be a tragedy for one of the most
practical cars  ever made.

I had to think about this for a little bit (while watching paint dry,
before shooting a coat of clear), so I had some time to ponder it. In 40 years,
I'll be 90 years old (almost, next month I turn 50), and my youngest (who's
a  t-3 aficionado, and HAS attended a T-3 Invasion with his own car) will
be almost  70 (turns 29 in June), will probably not be too concerned what the
car looks  like IF they can afford gas to actually drive it. In my links
below, are how I'm  trying to get another 20 to 25 years out of them, after
which, someone else will  have to deal with "the weird old man" stuff that
kept it around that  long. Most of what I'm doing, deals with what Jim
mentioned last night,  keeping the "shell" around, as rust never sleeps, and will
continue to eat away  the car itself. If you can slow the rust, then the car
will be around for  awhile (maybe another 40 years). The mechanicals, that's
not really a problem,  as our cars basically use a bug engine, and they'll
be around for awhile, as  there's still a thriving industry keeping them in
business. Transmissions are  rebuildable, and there's a couple of places
still doing that. Brakes, they've  been taken care of by the aftermarket (for
the most part), but switching to DOT  5 will help you get more years out of
the OE parts. ISP West and a few  others are working on bushings that can
replace the worn out obsolete stuff in  our front ends (Delrin looks very
promising). The rest, Keith has pretty  much covered. Like I mentioned above, I'm
mainly trying to get another 20 to 25  years out of the car, after that,
it'll be someone else's problem, just like it  was when you got yours (unless
you bought it new). I mean, how long do you  realistically plan to keep it?

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)