[T3] Fresh Air Intake Box Removal

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 24 20:36:34 PST 2011

On 24 Feb 2011 at 21:05, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> Has any one removed the fresh air intake boxes directly under the
> hood? Do you just remove the two bolts and two nuts under the dash?
> Does the windshield wiper assembly have to be removed? There is also a
> deflector located in each one. Being plastic and exposed to the desert
> sun's UV they are missing. This  lets water and wind into the cabin.
> Anyone have a pair to spare and sell? I need to really clean the boxes
> and replace the deflectors. Then the cove goes back on. Also looking
> for the door hinge cover/buttons. Love the desert for no rust; but not
> the UV damage. It is 70 Squareback.

I don't remember the exact sequence, but I think it's pretty clear
once you take a look at it. On a '70, you'll want to take out the
glove box and probably the wiper motor and linkage. Then, as you say,
4 fasteners hold each airbox. You'll also have to remove the knobs
and cables together with the airboxes. It's best to leave them
assembled if you can.

I don't know what you mean by deflectors. The boxes have an upper and
lower level. I may have a good pair here, but I think they have light
blue overspray on them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org