[T3] Old Type IIIs

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 21:32:15 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/24/2011 11:29:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 24  Feb 2011 at 13:34, Dave Hall wrote:

> It's the DIN rating - as  fitted to the car with ancillaries I believe -
the
> 'honest'  rating.
> Same for the old Type 1 engines, 30hp DIN - 36bhp; 34hp DIN -  40bhp.
>
> I believe the SAE rating for the 1500S is 66bhp, and  63bhp? for the 1600
> twin carb and FI.

The FI 1600 was sold in  the US as a 65 HP engine.

I think the Europeans measured HP differently than the US did back then (up
 to the early 70's). Back then the DIN standard measured HP at the wheels,
while  the SAE reading was taken at the flywheel. The DIN reading took in
account the  parasitic loses of the drivetrain, while the SAE reading didn't.
That might be  the differences in the readings, like Dave mentioned.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)