[T3] Red Diesel

Robert Bills rdbills at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 12:23:31 PST 2011

Subject: [T3] Red Diesel

>Does it meet the new
>"less than 15 ppm sulfur" spec
>that highway fuels
>have to meet and my Jetta
>warrantee requires?

As a former owner of several diesel vehicles (including a VW Rabbit diesel), I do know the answer to this.

The only difference between "red diesel" and pump diesel is the dye, which the government requires to identify fuel sold for agricultural use without payment of federal and state highway taxes, etc.  The fuel quality, including sulfer content, is the same.   It won't hurt your Jetta, although it could hurt your wallet if you are caught with it in your tank.

I would chalk up your one tankful of red diesel to an inadvertent error at the pump and not give it another thought.