[T3] Old Type IIIs

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 15:20:51 PST 2011

Yes, USA generally got the top spec while the rest of us had to do with
lesser trim levels, and usually for more money too!

We had a 1974 Camper with the upright 1600 engine, though the Type 4 engine
was fitted as an option on the higher spec models.  It still managed to tow
a 3/4ton trailer plus the Fastback when I took it up to London for a club
workshop weekend, where it was getting painted with Turquoise metallic
basecoat and clear.  We did nearly 300 miles round trip that weekend, very
slowly at times up the odd steep hill!  Most of the miles were on fairly
level roads though.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club