[T3] crazyest thing i have run into..

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 25 22:39:33 PST 2011

On 25 Feb 2011 at 21:52, Special (K) wrote:

> Still no start. power going into coil but not out so I called my
> friend, and he came down to ck my work. He came to same conclusion.
> Fine. No power out. Wait he says WTF?? Who messed with that screw?? I
> go to the back of the car and he says DID YOU move that screw?? The
> one he was speaking of was the one that holds the vacum advance to the
> dizzy.I did not touch it nor did anyone else since I have owned the
> car. (Owner #3) It is now BARELY touching the points enough to make
> them short.The NEW BOSH points I assume are the right ones. Has anyone
> ever ran into this?? Please let me know??

Bosch used several different lengths of screws in their distributors.
Each length is correct for its particular location, but if someone
takes things apart and puts them back together randomly, problems
like this can and will happen.

There's probably another screw in your dist that's just a bit short
for what it does. Most of the screws should stick maybe a half mm
inside the dist body when installed.

I correct a lot of these when I rebuild a dist.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org